How To Start A Free Blog Using WordPress In Just 30 Minutes
(Welcome to the sixth article of the series which aims to teach how to start a blog. This article will show you step by step how to start a free blog using WordPress.)
This article is a complete beginners guide to setup a free WordPress blog. A free blog is an excellent way to learn how to create a blog and how to manage it. You can polish your blogging skills on a
You can polish your blogging skills on a free blog and then buy your own domain (like I bought www.ilyastarar.com) to become a full-time blogger. To create a blog in 30 minutes, all you need is to follow this WordPress tutorial step by step.
Feel the happiness of setting up your first ever blog in just 30 minutes. Learning how to start a free blog of your own was never this easy. If you know basics of blogging already then it’s great.
But if you want to know more about blogging, you can read (any of) the following articles.
- What Is A Blog All About? – Blogging Terms (Part 1)
- Blogging Terms For Beginners (Part 2)
- Start A Blog Only When You Have Read This Article
- Blog Topics Selection 101: How To Choose Blog Topic
If you’re an absolute beginner, I’d emphasize that you go through the two articles which cover blogging terms to remove any confusion later in this tutorial.
Moving forward, I’ll take you through a simple WordPress tutorial based on screenshots, which will teach you how to start a free blog. Let’s begin!
Table of Contents
How To Start A Free Blog
Starting a free WordPress blog is the easiest thing you can do today. Before we get started, though, I think it’s important to know that free WordPress blog has some limitations. Do have a look at them.
For example, You can not run Google Adsense or other advertising programs to serve ads on your WordPress.com blog. Read this and this article by guys at WPBeginner (a great blog!) for more clarity on limitations.
Let’s get started then!
1. Open www.wordpress.com and click Start a Blog.
2. Click Get Started
Choosing Your Blog Type, Layout & Theme
3. Choose your blog type. It can be anything but make sure it’s relevant to your blog’s intended content. After clicking, select a subcategory as well from the choices.
Choosing a blog topic is an important decision. Therefore I’ve written a 4500+ words article on how to choose blog topic. If you’re sure about the topic of your new blog, select a relevant blog type.
If you’re making this blog just for practice purpose, just go with whatever you like.
4. Choose your layout. I selected the option on the left. You can choose what you like. It can be customized later, so there’s no need to spend much time on it. Just choose one and move to the next step.
5. Choose a theme. I chose Twenty Sixteen by scrolling down. Choose the one you like. Like the layout, the theme can be changed later as well.
Choosing Domain Name & Hosting
6. After you select your theme, this page will appear. Write your desired domain name. Domain will be part of your website address. (See next pictures to understand).
7. When you find your domain name available, the page will look like the following image. This will be your website address. Select free. Rest of the options are not free.
8. Choose hosting package. Quite obviously, we’re not interested in anything other than free here. Select free.
Creating Your WordPress Account
9. WordPress will ask you to create your WordPress account. Enter your email address and create a username of your choice. Click Create My Account.
10. The following page will appear telling you to confirm your email. Go to your email inbox in a separate tab.
11. Open your email inbox, click activation email and press Confirm Now. The email will be confirmed in a new tab.
You’ve Created Your First Blog۔ Let’s Tweak It A Bit!
12. Below is how your first blog looks like. It has been created. Address bar shows its website address. The website design and layout can be changed from admin area. Creation of your first blog is done. Congrats!
13۔ Click the profile icon on top right beside the notification icon. This view will appear. Edit your name, public name and about me.
14. On the top left, you can see My Site with WordPress icon. Click it. This view will appear. Click Settings (left bottom) by scrolling down the options. (See Next Picture)