Niche Definition: Understand What Blog Niche Means
One word you must have come across many times by now is niche. Choosing a niche for your blog is a tremendous responsibility. Choosing a wrong niche leads to failure in blogging. Period. But before you choose a niche for your new blog, it’s important to understand what a niche is. Let’s look at the niche definition.
In the blogging terms article, I defined the niche in simple words for beginners’ understanding. Let me write that simple niche definition here for you.
“Niche is basically a biological term, but it is extensively used in blogging. In blogging terms, a niche is a particular topic that has a specific and well-defined audience. A niche can be a broad topic as well as a narrowed down subtopic.”
For example, weight loss is a broad niche in which a lot of people are interested. You can further specify it like weight loss exercises. We can still be more accurate by focusing on weight loss exercises without any equipment.
Here’s another elaborated example of narrowing down the niche.
Definition Of Niche By Popular Dictionaries
Let’s see how famous dictionaries define the niche. Since we are looking for the niche definition in the context of blogging, I’ll cover only the related definitions.
- Meriam-Webster defines the niche as ‘a specialized market’ and ‘a place, employment, status, or activity for which a person or thing is best fitted.’
- Learner’s Dictionary defines it as ‘a job, activity, etc., that is very suitable for someone‘ and ‘the situation in which a business’s products or services can succeed by being sold to a particular kind or group of people.‘
- The Dictionary defines it as ‘a place or position suitable or appropriate for a person or thing‘ and ‘a distinct segment of a market.’
Do we see a pattern here? Focus on the words here. Specialized, best fitted, suitable, particular group, an appropriate place, and distinct segment are the words which you should focus on.
What Is A Blog Niche?
A blog niche is ‘a particular topic that has a specific and well-defined audience.’ Concluding from the standard definitions of the term, a blog niche must have following traits.
- It should be particular. A particular niche means a topic with a tight focus. It’s not broad. It covers a very specific portion of a broad topic. The example of weight loss above clarifies the concept.
- It should suit you. By being suitable, it means that you should have full confidence and grip on that topic. As I say often, you don’t need to be an expert in your niche to start, but you should have a passion for becoming an expert in it.
- It should have a distinct audience. It means that a well-defined number of people should have the interest in your niche and its keywords. Keyword research will help you find that number.
- The blog niche should solve a problem. Blogging is a business and all businesses mostly solve problems of their customers. The blog you build around a niche should address the problems of its particular audience.
All the blogs in this feedspot list are based on SEO niche. They focus on SEO and solves problems of the people who wish to know more about SEO. Neil Patel‘s blog is my favorite, and I learn a lot from him.
Niche selection is a significant step in your blogging journey. In this article, I provided niche definition for a better understanding of blog niche. Choosing a great niche means half the success in blogging.
Understand what a niche is and choose the best niche which is the most suitable for you in terms of expertise and practicability. Know your audience and write valuable content for them remaining within or close to your niche. That’s the advice any expert blogger will give you.
Do leave your feedback in the comments below. Your comments are valuable to me.